Ashwagandha or Indian Winter Cherry(Amukkra Kizhangu in tamil) is powerful herb that is used for centuries in Ayurveda. This herb comes with the family of tomato and has extraordinary healing effects.
Growing such a powerful plant at our home is actually very simple and it follows a quite normal steps.
The botanical name for Ashwagandha is Withania somnifera. It can grow up to 3 feet tall and it all starts from seeds.
Let us see about some necessary conditions for its growth first.
- This medicinal herb likes a lot of direct sunlight.
- Hence decide the place of growing the plant where it can receive maximum 8hours of sunlight.
- Ashwagandha can withstand mild dryness.
- The temperature level to grow this plant indoor is 20-35 deg Celsius.
- The soil should be rich in manure and should have a proper drainage.
- A well-drained organic pot mix will suit the plant.
- It is generally grown in the soil which is slightly basic.
- The ph level for the plant is 7.5-8.
- The seeds of Aswanganda should be sown about 2cm deep.
- If you are growing it in a row, a 10cm gap between each seed is advisable.
- Water the plant only if it is necessary and when the soil is too dry.
- Avoid over watering or water logging conditions. This retards the plant growth.
- Here comes one of the economic advantages of growing Ashwagandha.
- Since Ashwaganda is a medicinal plant, it is less susceptible to pest attack.
- This reduces the use of special fertilizers to the plant.
- However adding of compost will enrich the soil nutrients which also prevents the plant from the attack of spider mites.
- The bells shaped flowers and red berries are not only the sign of a fully grown plant but also a sign of harvest.
- It takes a maximum of 5 months to reach this level.
- As the roots of the plant pose a high medicinal value, it should be carefully removed from the soil, dried and used.
What can we do with this? Wait for our next post! We will be coming with the benefits of ashwagandha. Now let us start to plant it shall we? happy farming guys! Keep supporting us!
இந்த பதிவை தமிழில் காண இங்கே க்ளிக்(click) செய்யவும்
To watch the video: https://youtu.be/j106K8VMSb0